Airside App FAQs
Airside is a privacy-first digital identity app. The initial launch of the Airside app provides a method for the secure, digital transmission of contact and travel information to the U.S. government from travelers prior to departure on an international flight to the United States, starting September 8, 2020. This information may be used by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (U.S. CDC) and state and local public health authorities to enable follow-up and contact tracing in case of potential exposure to communicable diseases, such as COVID-19. Find more about this specific service at airsidemobile.com/contactshare.
The Airside app is available for download from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store for use on iOS and Android mobile devices.
Future iterations of the Airside app will offer a variety of convenient, secure services, such as seamless travel, easier banking, secure online transactions and more. Our standards-based approach to consent ensures that you are in control when sharing your personal information. As we continue to add new features and services to the app, we commit to maintaining our user-controlled approach, built with leading privacy policies and data security. Find more about the future of the Airside app at airsidemobile.com/app.
The Airside App is compatible with devices with iOS 13.0 or later and Android 7.0 or later. How it works:
- Download the Airside app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store onto a mobile device.
- Open the app, review the description and privacy statement, and select START HERE on the home screen.
- Auto-fill passport information using the document scanner or enter information manually.
- Set a 4-digit PIN or activate Touch ID or Face ID to secure the information on the app.
- Continue to complete the Travel Information and Contact Information.
- If needed, take the opportunity to submit information for other members of your traveling party on the international flight to the United States.
- Review the submitted information on the home screen.
The document scanner helps decrease time and error when entering passport information on the app. Instead of manually entering information, the scanner reads the code located at the bottom of the physical passport and automatically fills in the data fields. Try to use the document scanner feature in a stable, well-lit environment, and place your passport on a flat surface during scanning. How it works:
- Check your mobile device settings to allow the Airside app access to your camera.
- Open the Airside app, then select SCAN A PASSPORT TO AUTOFILL.
- Align the MRZ (Machine-readable Zone) code at the bottom of the passport in the drawn field on the app.
- When the code is correctly positioned, the field color will turn green.
- Confirm that the data on the app appears as it does on the physical passport.
No. Due to security measures, there is no way to digitally transfer information on the Airside app from one device to another.
- No. At this time, it is not possible to edit or delete submitted information. If you find, after referring to your receipt, that you made an error, please make another submission with the correct information.
- If your flight is changed, please resubmit a new entry with your new flight information. If your flight is canceled, you do not need to take any action to remove your submission.
For security reasons, it is not possible to recover a lost or forgotten PIN. If you choose to reset your PIN, please be aware that existing information will be deleted. To use the app again, you will need to re-enter your contact information. How to change your PIN:
- Reset the PIN on the unlock screen where you'll find a prompt reading, “Forgot your PIN?”
- Set a new PIN after scanning a passport or manually entering your passport information.
Absolutely. There has never been a time when the integrity and privacy of digital identity were more important. We believe that control of your personal information is a fundamental right and that you can do so today using our services. We promise the highest levels of security to keep your information safe and commit to only using your information for the purpose(s) to which you have agreed in the consent process.
Specifically, the Airside app uses an AES algorithm and strong 256bit key derived from your PIN, Touch ID or Face ID. That means you are the key for unlocking your personal information. After you give consent to share your personal information it is transported via end-to-end encryption protocols.
The Airside app is designed and developed by the company, Airside. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in Arlington, VA, Airside committed from the start to building secure and convenient digital identity technology in a manner that protects personal information and meets privacy regulations around the world. Our unique architecture led to a partnership with U.S. Customs and Border Protection and Airports Council International-North America and the launch of the Mobile Passport app in 2014. Mobile Passport is now trusted by more than eight million people at over 30 U.S. airports and cruise ports as a secure, touchless solution for travelers to save time and gain peace-of-mind during the customs inspection process upon arrival in the United States.
Airside, like many others, has pivoted resources to help support the fight against the spread of COVID-19 and is glad to be able to provide a secure, digital solution to help keep travelers safe prior to departure to the United States. As we have seen in the rapidly changing approaches to this public health threat, our solutions today will continue to evolve tomorrow. But, the Airside mission will not change. To learn more about us, please visit us at airsidemobile.com/about.